MynaG's Bits n Bytes

24 Feb, 2013

Uninstall & remove Ask toolbar extensions in Chrome

Posted by: mynag In: Solutions & Tips|Windows

If you have updated the Java on your computer and have probably forgotten to uncheck the “Install the Ask Toolbar and make Ask my default search provider” in the Java installation wizard, you will see a new Ask toolbar appearing in your chrome browser. The tricky part comes when you open up the extensions settings in Chrome, you will realise that the Enable checkbox at the Ask toolbar extension is disabled, so you can’t actually delete the Ask Toolbar extension at the extentions options. If you notice carefully, which many people could have missed is the instructions to uninstall the Ask toolbar although it states that  ”This extension is managed and cannot be removed or disabled.

So here’s the instruction to get rid of the Ask toolbar on your Chrome browser.

1. Open up Control Panel
  2. Open Program – Uninstall a Program or Program > Program and Features – Uninstall a Program (Windows 7) or
    Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP)
  3. In the list of programs, uninstall and remove the following programs:
    • Ask Toolbar Updater
    • Ask Toolbar
  4. Restart your Chrome browser

7 Responses to "Uninstall & remove Ask toolbar extensions in Chrome"

1 | Paul Anand

March 1st, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Thanks, it was greatly helpful.

2 | Alyson

March 7th, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Have you actually tried this yourself before writing this or even bothered to research that hoards of people have tried this and lots of other ‘fixes’ that don’t remove this cancer from their computer. The check box is meaningless (you can’t ‘un’check it) and it tells you to close the instance of Chrome before it can remove, yet there are no instances of Chrome active. I do recall specifically checking off that i did not want any garbage when I recently updated my Java- if you are going to offer advice make it a method you can stand behind.

3 | mynag

March 7th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Hi Alyson,

I think you have misread what I wrote.

First and foremost, of course I have attempted it before writing this article.

Secondly, if you read it carefully, I am not asking you to uncheck the box at the extension. I am telling to go to the Add and Remove programs to uninstall them.

4 | MJ

March 8th, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I tried uninstalling it using that method and using uninstaller by IOBIT both failed to remove the ASK toolbar, I tried uninstalling chrome and reinstalling it and it is still there. Ive rebboted my laptop for each uninstall but it is still there

5 | violet

March 14th, 2013 at 10:14 pm

It suddenly appeared on my comp and i went to my control panel to uninstall and it wasnt even in there. I uninstalled java and it didnt go but it tells me it cant be disabled or removed because it is managed. So, how do i remove it?

6 | Gino

March 16th, 2013 at 11:59 am

i hate this, i already uninstalled that stupid toolbar but its still in here! i tried reinstall chrome but its still here! wtf!!!!!!!!!

7 | jamie

May 26th, 2013 at 1:38 pm

yea this doesnt work Ive tried everything and it wont uninstall guess people need to turn them into the better business bureau

Comment Form